Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Free Market Miracle

Over the past few years I've saved electronically, hundreds of articles, essays, opinion pieces and columns. I've forgotten the content of most of them. One that I clearly remember was an op-ed written by Johan Norberg published in the Wall Street Journal 10/2/2006. In it Norberg describes how capitalism has powered the miraculous global transformation we've experienced over the past century and a half. This transformation is taken for granted by most of us and this allows the left to claim, nonsensically, that because of the current downturn, free markets have failed. The piece is appropriate reading now that the Democrats have embarked on a path toward greater government restriction of economic freedom. I don't want to run afoul of copyright laws so I won't reproduce the entire article here. It can be ordered online from www.djreprints.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment